Igreja do antigo convento de São Francisco
Situated near the medieval walls. The church, was one of the most prominent buildings of the medieval Algarve. The convent founded by the Franciscans between 1250 and 1330 was plagued by various disasters, earthquakes (1722 and 1755), a collapse (1840) and a dreadful fire (1881).
It is located in the vicinity of the medieval walls. The church, along with the other convent divisions, was one of the most preeminent buildings in the medieval Algarve. The convent founded by the Franciscans between 1250 and 1330 was beset by several disasters, including earthquakes (1722 and 1755), a landslide (1840) and a terrible fire (1881). It is currently a complex building, with several interventions throughout its history. It also preserves interesting medieval remains and an ancient cemetery. The church has today a distinct layout of the original, highlighting the current sacristy, with a dome sexpartida by ribs exits of a single clasp and based on Gothic capitals with vegetalist decoration, reflecting the influence of the art of the Battle (century. XV). In the camarário garden attached to the temple are preserved two Gothic chapels that would belong to the convent church, with dome cover of warheads based on capitals decorated with vegetalist motifs.