Tavira Churches

santa_estevâo_church

Igreja matriz de Santo Estêvão

Igreja matriz de Santo Estêvão is located in the center of the village, originated in a small late-medieval hermitage dependent on the parish of Santiago de Tavira.
Information
The church, in the center of the village, originated in a small late-medieval hermitage dependent on the parish of Santiago de Tavira. It dates back to the 16th century, being rebuilt in 1707 by order of Bishop D. António Pereira da Silva, changing its original appearance. In the 19th century, probably in 1846, the main façade was remodeled, and later, in 1903, the main portal. Inside, the church consists of a single nave, with four side chapels and chancel communicating with the sacristy on the side of the Epistle. The main altarpiece, whose risk may be the authorship of the Italian architect Francisco Xavier Fabri, extends through a mural giving it the appearance of a fake altarpiece.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email
en_GB
en_GB