LUZ DE TAVIRA E SANTO ESTÊVÃO
Luz de Tavira e Santo Estêvão covers an area of 59.91 Sq.Km with a population of 4535 inhabitants(2011 census).
Nowadays, this Parish relies essentially on agriculture and associated activities together with an increased interest in tourism.
The history of Luz de Tavira dated back to the 15th century, although there is evidence of a Roman town known as Balsa dating back to the time of Julia Caesar 1st century BC. The old parish of Santo Estevao is located in the Barrocal area. The land between the coast and the mountain.
The parish church in Luz de Tavira forms the focal point of the village and highlights against the skyline as you enter the village from the Faro direction on the N125. It is well worth a visit, the main part of the church dating back to the 16th century.
The former parish of Santo Estêvão dates back to the sixteenth century (1597) when the production of carob, fig, almond, wine, lime, wood, charcoal and hunting played an important role in economic growth. Craft activities that still persist are wicker or cane basketry, lace, plank chairs. In terms of food, sausages and other products derived from pork, homemade bread, sweets, almond and dried fruit characterize this area of the county.