Built in 1887, the Mercado da Ribeira, Tavira, is typical of the common type of market in which was widely used in Portugal until the mid-twentieth century.
MONUMENTS AND BUILDINGS
Casas de Raul Lino was designed by Raul Lino (Lisbon, 21 November 1879 – 13 July 1974) who was a famous Portuguese architect.
Casa André Pilarte was built in 1541 by famous architect of Tavira, André Pilarte who was also responsible for building the church of Misericórdia.
Cidade de Balsa is classified as an Urban cluster. Roman city /Town. Civitas. Considered the initial core of the Roman occupation of Tavira.
The Forte da Conceição, or São João da Barra, was ordered to build in 1670 by Capitão Geral do Reino , to strengthen the protection of Ria Formosa and access to the port of Tavira.
The Antigo Arraial Ferreira Neto (Armação de Pesca) is located on the east side of the mouth of the River Gilão, near Tavira, in an area called Quatro Águas (confluence of the Gilão River, the Cabanas Canal, the Tavira Channel and the access bar to the sea through the island of Tavira), near the Forte do Rato.
The site of Forte do Rato is now inland and close to the Vila Galé Albacora.
Quartel da Atalaia situated in the parish of Santiago in Tavira, was built in 1795, by Governador General do Algarve, o Conde de Vale dos Reis, Nuno José Fulgêncio de Mendonça Moura Barreto
The first references to Ponte Antiga sobre o Rio Gilão, the ancient bridge of Tavira appear in the Chronicle of the Conquest of the Algarve, a medieval text that reports the conquest of the locality to the Moors in the thirteenth century. Nevertheless, in the city there is the widespread idea that the construction was due to the Romans.
The history of the Palácio da Galeria dates back to the middle ages however, its present format began being developed in the 16 century as evidence of the distinctive Renaissance galley shows.